The African Diaspora

Mythopoetic, Visionary, 

African American  Fine Art Photographer 

Me in my Studio, Etoutteville, France


I am an African American fine art photographer. And I deeply appreciate it when my work is recognized and published so that it has a wider reach, in particular into the African diaspora. Here is an interview from AnotherAfrica that I recently reread. http://www.anotherafrica.net/art-culture/natures-embrace

As an artist of color my journey has been challenging. The messages that I reflect through my work, are often incongruous with the current trends in photography that are on whole, fairly homogenous. If you know my work, then you know it is about inner strength, resiliency, determination and personal power. It is also about dignity and grace. People, regardless of whether they are black or white, from America or another part of the world, find themselves in my work. The use of Mirror Photography, dissolves barriers between people and gives them an appreciation of our shared humanity.

The prevalence of unconscious sexism and racism in art and in the media rages on. Too often people blindly accept the negative stereotypical depictions of non white people as a given, and without question.  

My Studio, Etoutteville, France
Pia posing with some of my work 

I am a bridge-builder. As an artist of African, Native American and European descent, I draw on the archetypal forms of elongation to represent spirit and strength. Elongation has often been used to reinforce a sense of the mystery and our spiritual nature. Examples of this are Native American sand paining, gothic architecture, and African sculpture. 

It could be said, that photographing the first peoples of the world as powerful, iconic figures, is a political statement, as well as an artistic one. And through my photographs, I work to inspire and put beauty into the world. I want to remind people, we are but one people with common roots and stories. The first people have generously shared their stories and images with me so they can inspire you, through my work.

As a mythopoetic, visionary fine art photographer, I bring people to a deeper, more meaningful understanding of one another and our relationship to nature.  

Elisabeth Sunday

Animus #3, Painted Koro Warrior, Ethiopia, 2011

Comments

Popular Posts