Spring Studio Fundraiser


F  L  O  W  E  R  S

Fox Glove, 1984

The Botanical Portfolio 1983-1985, is among my favorite bodies of work. Before I used the mirror in my figurative work, I photographed in Paris' Jardins des Plantes marveling at the beauty of foxgloves, orchids, and ferns.  I am delighted to announce that I will be making these limited edition prints available from the Botanical Portfolio, a few at a time, in both archival pigment and platinum for a limited time only.


The prints will be made on 16” x 20” rag paper with a 2” boarder, made to museum standards, and signed in pencil. They are a split edition, limited to a total of 20 prints,  (10 in platinum).

For more information, please email me: IturiSun@gmail.com








Orchids, 1984
               
                     Cactus Blossom, 1985





















About the Botanical Portfolio

Jungle Orchid, 1984

In 1975 I had an pivotal encounter with the woman who would become my mentor and friend, Imogene Cunningham. Only sixteen, I traveled to a book signing she gave at UC Berkeley, armed with enthusiasm and my print of a calla lily leaf I had developed in my high school photography lab. So thrilled to be meeting a hero of mine, I boldly presented the print (inspired by her) without first informing her it was an homage to her work. 

We had a few words. She bawled me out, in fact. 

Stunned, though tears, I flipped the print over and piped back that I admired her work and had signed it on the back,“Leaf, homage to Imogen, 1975.” Imogen relaxed and laughed. Actually laughed after giving me a somewhat public dressing down. I pushed past it.

We exchanged numbers. She became my mentor - and quickly, my friend. And though she passed away just a year later in 1976, we had a joint exhibition of our respective botanical photographs at “The Photographer’s Gallery” in San Francisco in 1985, bringing the relationship we had begun just ten years earlier, full circle.









Comments

Popular Posts